Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

NEW SHOES!

Fun times! I got not one, but TWO new pairs of running shoes! 

First pair:  Hoka Clifton 4


I went to a local running store on Saturday afternoon to get a new pair of shoes (Performance Running Outfitters in case there are any local readers!).  I had a $25 gift card for taking 2nd in the Race for Bacon.  I have had consistent good luck with Adidas running shoes, but I have been very curious about Hokas for a while, as well as some other brands, so I asked to try on a variety.  It has been a while since I have done that!

Generally I look for a neutral shoe, with a good responsive/cushion mix.  Most of the time the drop  of shoes that I like is between 8 and 12 mm. 

I first tried on a Brooks Glycerine 15.  Years ago, I ran in the Glycerine 12 and liked it, but didn't like the 13 when I tried it on.  I didn't like the 15 either.  Nothing specific, just didn't love it.

Next I tried on a New Balance 1080.  I liked this better than the Glycerine but felt a little wide in the toebox for me.

I tried on the Hoka Clifton 4 next.  I was surprised at how light they felt given the ENORMOUS sole.  I liked them particularly how they fit around my whole foot.  I don't think I have a particularly narrow foot but many times I find toeboxes too wide.  They were very comfy.

I tried on a new pair of Adidas Ultraboost for comparison and I still love those shoes.  So much bounce!  The ONLY problem I have with the Ultraboost is that I don't foresee them lasting as long as other shoes have lasted for me.  I just crossed the 200 mile mark with them and they have significant wear on them already.  I feel like I will be lucky if they get to 300 miles.

Finally, I tried on a pair of Adidas Supernovas.  I had no intention of buying these because I knew a pair was going to be coming in the mail (more later) but was curious.  Upon try on, I liked them a lot, although not as much as the Ultraboost.

I decided to go for it on the Hokas.  Having gift cards always makes me in the "treat yo self" mindset so I did.  I ran 3.25 miles in them on Sunday and liked them a lot.  They have a smaller drop in them (5 mm) so I'm planning on slowly easing into them lest I end up in the land of calf pain like I did after trying Brooks Pure Flows.

Second Pair: Adidas Supernova

I entered the Jack Rabbit #BoostGameStrong contest...and won!  I was one of five winners of a new pair of Adidas running shoes.  HUGE SCORE since I am a big fan of this brand and Boost technology.  I was able to choose between the Adios, Supernova, Energy Boost, and Supernova ST lines.  OH the agony.  I have had three previous pairs of Energy Boost and loved all of them BUT have been very curious about the Supernova after Anna Weber posted on Facebook that she got almost 800 miles out of a pair.  WHAT?!

I ended up going with the unknown, since it was a contest and I wasn't paying for them anyways.  They showed up on my doorstep last night and I plan on taking them for a spin tomorrow!

As a side note, I am really impressed with the running shoe descriptions on the Jack Rabbit website!  So so informative!

Now my shoe rotation looks like:

Asics GT 2000 5 (current mileage = 267.64 miles)
Adidas Ultraboost X (current mileage = 207.32)
Hoka Clifton 4 (current mileage = 3.25)
Adidas Supernova (current mileage = 0)

I love talking shoes!  What are you currently running in?

1 comment:

  1. Great rotation! I love it when I find a new pair of shoes that works for me.

    ReplyDelete