Pages

Monday, June 4, 2018

Grandma's Marathon Training: Week 16 Recap

Disclaimer:  I am running Grandma's Marathon in June as a BibRave Pro, which means my entry fee was covered for me. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!  

I felt much better last week than the week previous so I think it is safe to say that I have recovered from Ragnar.  Don't get me wrong, my legs still feel fatigued, but not in the I cannot move myself forward AT.ALL way.  Last week was a return to form - I was able to get up for all my morning runs, which just keeps the rest of the day operating so much more smoothly and keeps my stress level down!

I had a little plan switching to accommodate Memorial Day, which was a gorgeous, hot, sun-filled day on the lake.  I took advantage and made that day my off day than my regular old Tuesday.  This delayed my strength workout and my tempo run by a day.

First, I was so proud of my strength workout.  Several weeks ago, I was not able to do all 4 of the 1.5 mile repeats and I not only finished all four, but got progressively faster with each one this time around.  My tempo was not perfect, but I actually finished it and learned a valuable lesson that while I may not need sunglasses for the sun in the early morning, I need sunglasses to act as bug shields.  I was seriously finding bug pieces in my eyes for a while after my run was done!  GROSS.

16 weeks are DONE.  My May mileage came in at 217.71.  Holla! I really wanted May to top out as my all-time highest mileage month ever, but my failed tempo run last week ruined that plan.  April 2017 at 224.18 miles remains my highest mileage month.

Bring on week 17!

Sunday, May 27
Plan Says:  Easy 5 miles

What I did:  We were at my husband's family lake house so this was officially my first lake run of 2018.  It was so hot and humid already at 7 AM so this was not "easy" but it was done.

5 miles, 40:17 (8:02 avg pace)

Monday, May 28 (Memorial Day)
Plan Says: Off

What I did:  I was on breakfast duty for the group so I was up early cooking.  I had decided to take advantage of the day off and make it my actual day off for the week.

Tuesday, May 29
Plan Says: 4 x 1.5 mi, with 800 recovery in between and 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down

What I did:  Back at it. 

1.12 mile warm up, 9:30 (8:30 avg)

1.  1.5 miles, 9:56 (6:37 avg pace) / 0.5 mi recovery 4:31 (9:05 avg pace)
2.  1.5 miles, 9:42 (6:27 avg pace) / 0.5 mi recovery 4:45 (9:32 avg pace)
3.  1.5 miles, 9:43 (6:29 avg pace) / 0.5 mi recovery 4:40 (9:23 avg pace)
4.  1.5 miles, 9:38 (6:26 avg pace)

1.5 mile cool down, 12:40 (8:26 avg pace)

Wednesday, May 30
Plan Says: easy 5 miles

What I did:   5.25 miles, 45:13 (8:37 avg pace)

Thursday, May 31
Plan Says: 10 mile tempo, 1 mile warm up and cool down

What I did: Well, it was time.  After several botched tempo runs, I had to get one done.  If you look at my run time, I was about on pace.  But the fact is I stopped SEVERAL times to dig bugs out of my contacts because I neglected to wear sunglasses.  And it was HUMID.  So the actual time that it took me to get this done was not on pace.

1.15 mile warm up, 10:05 (8:48 avg pace)
10 miles tempo, 1:08:55 (6:53 avg pace)  / 1:12 (7:08 avg)
0.25 mile cool down 2:41 (10:51 avg)

I didn't have time to do the whole cool down because I had to get to a conference for work.  I was really tired after this run.

Friday, June 1
Plan Says: easy 8 miles

What I did: Back on track for the plan. The temperature plummeted overnight so it was so nice and cool this morning!

8.01 miles, 1:07:23 (8:25 avg pace)

Saturday, June 2
Plan says: long 10 miles

What I did:  I had to get up early to get this done because we had a full day planned, including me acting as "running buddy" for my friend's third grader at the Girls on the Run 5K and my annual employee picnic at the zoo.  This was a great run.  I wanted to just let the run flow so I didn't pay attention to my pace.

10 miles, 1:23:47 (8:23 avg pace)

After returning home, eating some eggs and a waffle, we were back out the door for the 5K.  Obviously, my entire goal for this 5K was to act as a support to C.  I had hypothesized that we wouldn't run the entire thing and I was right.  There was a lot of walking and a lot of laughing.  I was proud of her for finishing the entire race! 

3.1 miles, 43:13 (14:11 avg pace)

Weekly Total
Plan says: 50 miles
What I did: 49.73 miles without the GOTR 5K / 52.83 with the GOTR 5k

2 comments:

  1. That's still fantastic mileage for May, and we were May mileage twins. It looks like you are ready to go kill this race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I demand dress missed something, however there are a numerous of pairs in this cool who could spry graded the carriers. best multivitamin for thinning hair

    ReplyDelete