Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Madison Marathon Training: Week 2 Recap

Disclaimer:  I am running the Madison Marathon in November as a BibRave Pro, which means my entry fee was covered for me. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!  Wanna run Madison with me?  Enter code MMRAVE18 at registration for 10% off!

Well, if you were going to script a bad week of marathon training, last week would have been it.  A fall!  Urgent Care!  A watch malfunction-turned-out-to-be-user-error!  An upper respiratory infection!

This it the stuff of marathon dreams, people!

The good news is that I wasn't too far off the mark.  And as one of my fellow Ragnar teammates said - just compare your total mileage with that of week 2 of the beginner plan!  You're fine! ha ha ha

I'm not that worried, given that it is week 2 of an 18 week plan, but I am glad to be moving on to week 3.

Sunday July 22
Plan says: Easy 6 miles

What I did: My husband came up with the brilliant idea to take the kids, who are trying to learn how to ride bikes without training wheels, to our large church parking lot to practice.  I had yet to get my run in so I was going to run to church and meet them.  About 2.5 miles into my run, I tripped over myself and ended up banging up my knee, elbow, hip, ankle, hand and two fingernails.  With blood dripping all over the place, I managed to hobble over to a nearby baseball game where they managed to unearth a first aid kit that maybe was 40 years old.  I stuck some bandaids on myself and proceeded to get to church, albeit not along the meandering route I had planned on.  My right side didn't feel great, but it didn't feel like I had a super serious injury either.   However, I didn't want to take any chances.

As I ran into the parking lot, my daughter was clutching her chest.  She also fell off her bike and was sporting some fresh road rash of her own.  High fives for our family that day!

I ended up with 3.64 miles, 29:08 (8:00 avg pace).

Monday July 23
Plan says: 12 x 400m with 1.5 mile warm up and cool down and 400 m jog in between

What I did:  Nothing.  My knee was bothering me on Sunday night so I didn't get much sleep.  I decided it would benefit from an extra day of rest.

Tuesday July 24
Plan says: Off

What I did:  12 x 400m.  I felt much better Tuesday morning so I bandaged up and hit the road.  Typically I really love 400m repeats, but these felt flat.  My goal time for each 400 is unchanged from the past:  1:33.  My first one was a tad slow in 1:35. My second one was right on at 1:33.  The remaining were under 1:33, but not by much.  My final four were 1:27, 1:28, 1:28, 1:30.  The warm up and cool down went fine.

I got back into the house to sync my watch and discovered that 3/4 of my workout did not load.  I tweeted the Garmin folks and discovered that the Vivoactive 3 only saves 7 workouts before it overwrites.  UGH!  I am going to have to learn to pre-program workouts into my watch.

9.01 miles total

Wednesday July 25
Plan says: easy paced 6 miles

What I did:  I had to leave my house by 6:15 for an early work meeting, so planned on doing this after work.  Unfortunately, my whole night was spent at urgent care with my son so by the time we all got home from that escapade, we all went straight to bed.  (He is fine.  Every time he gets a cold, we seem to end up in urgent care/pediatrician's office to do breathing treatments.)

Thursday July 26
Plan says: easy paced 6 miles

What I did: 7.0 miles, 1:00:36 (8:39 average pace)

Friday July 27
Plan says: easy paced 6 miles

What I did: 6.0 miles, 52:29 (8:44 avg pace).  I woke up feeling off.  I chalked it up to lack of great sleep and the fact that I had a mammogram that morning.  By the end of the day, though, I was feverish with a stuffy nose and sore throat.  Oh joy.  An upper respiratory infection.  Could this week get any worse?

Saturday July 28
Plan says: easy paced 8 miles

What I did:  I let myself sleep in on Saturday morning and didn't try to tackle my run until after the kids were in bed.  Once again, it felt like I was just plodding along, but I finished, albeit with misfired snot rockets all over myself.

Plan Total: 41 miles
What I did: 33.77 miles

1 comment:

  1. My partner and i faithfulness your elaboration associated with exactly how dialogue millstone discourse processs. My partner and i decide on heard about the idea simply until forthwith, My partner and i gravy nay received victorious reasoning in order to bother that lack of. Blesss to the increase! bcaa singapore

    ReplyDelete