Pages

Friday, April 26, 2019

Final Thoughts - Illinois Marathon


Disclaimer:  I am running the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon as a BibRave Pro, which means my entry fee was covered for me. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews

I just returned from my last training run - a simple 3 miles. 

I have logged 841.28 miles over the last 18 weeks of training. 

The hay is in the barn as they say!

I kicked off this training with a fractured rib and am leaving it with an upper respiratory infection.  

Yeah.  So this cycle wasn't perfect!

I'm not going to lie, I wish I was feeling good.  I am still congested and coughing up phlegm and my heart rate has skyrocketed on every "easy" run I have had this week.  Regardless, I am trying hard to maintain the excitement for the race because even when I'm sick, I'm lucky to do this.

This will be my first race running in the elite division which I am pretty excited about, sick or not.  The standards to apply for the elite start for this race are 3:10 or below which is pretty fun!  With this, I get three bottles placed along the course and a warm-up/holding room within a hotel at the start.  

At this point, my race plan is to run by feel.  I went to a networking breakfast earlier this week and one of the speakers talked about how she re-frames periods of doubt in her mind as "montage" scenes - as if her life were a book or a movie.  I liked it and have adopted it this week.  Additionally, Blair Braverman's reflections on her first Iditarod made me feel like a marathon is a piece of cake!

The weather looks like rain and wind.  

Anything can happen out there!

You can download the marathon app here to track.  

My family and I are about to pack up and hit the road!


No comments:

Post a Comment