Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2016

As for the rest of 2016...



My sunburn is peeling revealing new skin underneath which serves as a somewhat gross (and reptilian) reminder that my big target race of the year may be over, but 2016 is far from over.  We still have 8 months of 2016, people! I got my new running plan from my coach (High Miles Running) this morning!

The next 16 days are a combo of marathon recovery and 5K prep as my first 5K of 2016 is on May 14.  I'm trying not to have expectations for this race AND at the same time, I want to win it.  (I won it last year.)  So there's that.  

Here are some goals I'm mulling over for the rest of 2016:

1. Consistency! My primary goal is to continue the consistency that I have established this year.  No falling off the wagon!!

2.  Strength training.  My lower back is still a little weird since Boston.  This is a spot that I have had past trouble with (SI Joint) and I have done PT so I really should get back to those exercises and core strength.  

But I wouldn't represent my Type A personality very well if I didn't have a FEW time goals:

3. Break 19:00 in the 5K.  
Starting to sound like a broken record with this one.  (It first made its appearance on this blog on October 10, 2014.)  UNLIKE all the time before, I am actually going to train for the 5K in the coming months.  Let's see how low we can go, shall we?  Current PR: 19:20 set last September, my last 5K, at TosaFest.

4. PR in the 8K.  Every year, I organize a team for, and run, Al's Run for Children's Hospital in Milwaukee.  In 2014, I ran this in 32:12.  Last year, I ran it in 32:17.  This year, I'm hoping to beat 32:12.

5.  Do at least one half marathon, and attempt a PR.
Last year, I did a half marathon with my haphazard training and PRed - 1:33:23.  This is more due to the fact that I don't have a long repertoire of half marathons that I have done. 

Lest you think I am completely mentally over Boston, I'm not.  Much like the Olympic Trials, I'm still reading every recap I come across (links to a few of my faves below).  




What Actually Happens to Your body During a Marathon - not Boston specific, but still interesting



2 comments:

  1. Those are great goal. You and I are in the same boat- recovering and then getting back to shorter distances. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the early days of shorter distance training when the workouts seem so easy after the marathon training workouts!! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete