Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Gearing up for Race Day

I'm running a race in two days!

WOAH.

On Saturday, I am running the Bigfoot Trail 10K in Lake Geneva, WI.  I was given the opportunity to run this race as part of the BibRave Pro Ambassador program (which is accepting applications right now, by the way).  As I wrote before, I was excited to do the race for two reasons:

1) It is a 10K.  I had thought my last 10K was the 2004 Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta. (My time was 52:08 (8:23 avg pace)...let's just say I was not very consistent about running when I lived in Atlanta!).  But I had forgotten about a 10K that I did shortly after we moved to Menomonee Falls in 2012.  My time at that race was 45:03 (7:15).  I have not participated in a 10K since 2012 as I was pretty enamored with 5ks for a while.

2) It is a trail run.  I was deep into marathon training on the road when I registered for this race and I thought a trail race would be a fun change of pace.

All in all, this race is somewhat out of my comfort zone on both accounts - distance and terrain - and for that reason, I have zero expectations for it.  I have no idea how fast I can run a 10K on a trail.  No idea. I will be going into the race on tired legs.  I had two tough workouts on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week and judging by how my legs felt on my run this morning, they will likely still be tired on race day.  I signed up for the fun of trying something new and am trying to take that mindset into race day, which is altogether very different from my usual course of action, and honestly, somewhat refreshing.

It will be fun to see what the result is and fun to see how the whole experience is.  I AM expecting the course to be beautiful as it runs through Big Foot Beach State Park.

Race start is 8:30 and packet pick up is available morning of, so I plan to leave my house at 6/6:30.  Wish me luck!

You can still register for this race!  Use code 'BibRaveBF17' for bonus water bottle when you register...and let me know that you will be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment