Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Irritation

I've had some pain in my right foot for a couple of weeks.  Soreness, dull ache, on again, off again. It become more "on again" than "off again" about two weeks ago so I made an appointment with sports medicine.  I wasn't sure exactly what was going on, despite my best Google and social media diagnosing efforts so I backed off running the past week.

My appointment was this morning.  I first met with a resident who thought I had posterior tibial tendon irritation after feeling around on my foot. (Yes, I did totally go to down with a foot file last night and slept with my feet lathered up in Olivu 425 Heel Stick.)

Dr. L came in and saw that I was reading The Goldfinch and we briefly discussed books.  So, in other words, I immediately liked her.

She looked at my foot, watched me walk, watched me stand on one foot, yadda yadda and proclaimed I had a neutral foot with high arches.  A "beautiful dancer's foot" (She takes care of the MKE Ballet). She agreed with the resident - posterior tibial irritation, a common injury.

The good news - no tear and I can keep running.  I have to make some rolling ice bottles and ice it with pressure a few times a day and take ibuprofen.  If it does not improve in 2-3 weeks, call back and she will get me into PT.

She also thought I should keep up with a more supportive, well cushioned shoe due to my arches.  I have recently started using a new shoe, rotating two pairs.  The pair I have been running in since April/May is Asics Gel Nimbus 16.  I was fitted for these by a local running store with gait analysis, yadda yadda.  I have liked running in them except for the fact that they are much heavier than what I am used to.  I recently bought Mizuno Wave Rider 17s off Zulily.  While I have liked the lightness of them (they are 1.6 oz lighter than Nimbus) , they definitely are not as cushy as the Nimbus so now of course I'm wondering if it was the shoes?

I never was picky about running shoes, boasting that I could run in anything.  Perhaps in my old age, this is no longer the case.  I asked Dr. L about those shoe inserts that running stores are all over and she said that the success of them varies by person.  Some people do well with them, others not so much.  (Any reviews?)

Off to Google...

1 comment:

  1. love to see you blogging again! glad to hear it seems like a minor injury. i think it seems likely that it might be the new shoes.

    ReplyDelete