Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Training before the Training Week 1

My goal is to provide a weekly update with the previous week's mileage summary every Monday or Tuesday.  That's the whole reason for starting the blog - social pressure to keep me honest, right?

Last week my family accompanied me to a conference and then we were on vacation for 4 days after that so I was way more tired than I usually am - and used my kids nap time to nap myself most days. The city we were visiting hosted a marathon Sunday morning which both inspired and scared me. 

Goal mileage for 11/2-11/8:  19.5 miles
Actual mileage for 11/2 - 11/8: 14.13 miles

Cue sad face and red text.

The breakdown:

Sunday : 4.3 miles, 30:02 (6:59 pace).  Outdoors, felt good.  This is a good example of my standard or default run in terms of mileage and pace.  I leave my house thinking hmm..what should I do today? And 9 times out of 10 think "how about 30 minutes".  I know that I can finish this workout and I'm really not pushing myself very much with it.

Tuesday: 0 miles, 1 hour of Power Yoga.  I have been doing an hour of Power Yoga on my nonexistant lunch hour every Tuesday for about 4 years.  My workplace offers it and it is an excellent class.  I have definitely noticed improvements in my running due to it.

Thursday: 4.02 miles, 32:00 (7:58 pace). Indoors on hotel treadmill, while listening to the latest Serial podcast...which THANK GOD I had that because it was all I could do to run during the entirety of that.  It was definitely one of those runs where I could feel every jiggle and the fact that I was running facing a mirror was not helping matters! Oh and sidebar...It may have not been the smartest to chow down a huge burger and drink a Moscow mule PRIOR to doing a workout (duh). My foot bothered me more than usual during this run and I wondered if it was due to the treadmill.  I had just read an article about how the biomechanics of running on a treadmill are different so my theory may be entirely because of that article.

Saturday:  5.81 miles, 41:24 (7:07 pace). Ran through my old college campus.  Most of me was exhilarated to be running on a "new" route and inspired by the nostalgia of it all.  A tiny part of me was hating how windy it was!  But my foot did not bother me at all so that was good news.

Week 1 Takeaways:
1. I realized that I have to be a little more proactive in scheduling my runs rather than the "we'll see what happens" approach I have been taking (which clearly wasn't really working for me if you read last week's post!).  

2. Additionally, an easy trick that I have incorporated this week is to stop viewing a regular run as 30 minutes/4 and some odd miles.  My new goal to build up mileage is to move my default run to 5 miles.

3. I need to ice my foot.  Period.

4.  I read 4 runners world magazines in the period of 4 days (back issues from 2013/2014 that have been decorating our coffee table for the last year) and have some new glute strengthening exercises I am going to try on my off days.

Goal for 11/9 - 11/15: 19.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment