Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Marathon Training Week 10

Overall I am happy with the week even though I missed one workout due to the cold and bad planning.  After a beautiful weekend in the 40s, I am hoping the cold is going to make an appearance less and less!  I am REALLY EXCITED to have to use the treadmill less during evening runs due to daylight savings time.  Things are looking up, people!

Monday 3/2
Plan says: Easy 4-5 miles

What I do: I was still in FL and thus ran 5 miles in 80 degrees.  It was glorious.  No watch so not sure how long it took me.

Total: 5 miles

Tuesday 3/3
Plan says: Negative Split 4 miles (2,2)

What I do: I wanted to get up early and get a final workout done in FL before we had to head to the airport but it didn't work out because the kids were up and there was packing.  By the time we got home, grocery shopped and unpacked, I was pooped.  No gym for me.

Total: 0 miles

Wednesday 3/4
Plan says: Rest or cross-train

What I do: Tuesday's negative split workout on the treadmill.  WOMP WOMP.  Do you know how hard it is to go back to a treadmill after running in tanks and shorts outside for a week?!

First 2 miles: 7.8 mph (7:47 pace)
Last 2 miles: 8.3 mph (7:14 pace)

Total: 4 miles

Thursday 3/5
Plan says: Easy 5-6 miles

What I do: Nothing.  I forgot that the hubs was not going to be home due to an overnight meeting so no childcare = no running at night.

Total: 0 miles

Friday 3/6
Plan says:  Optional 3 miles

What I do: Usually I do not work on Fridays which can mean an easy way to make up a workout that I may have missed during the work week.  However, due to vacation and the fact that I am leaving, I worked this day and then met a friend for drinks after the kids were in bed.  Friend with drinks trumps workout every time in my book.

Total: 0 miles

Saturday 3/7
Plan says: 20 miles

What I do: Curse.  Did I mention that I can count the nights that I have slept through the night in the last month on one hand?  Friday night was no different.  Thank you children.  That combined with the 2 beers I drank Friday night and I was needing some super strong coffee Saturday morning.  I was not in the mood to run 20 miles.

I still did not have a GPS watch so I planned a route using gmap pedometer.  My planned route ended up at 21 miles.  All that clicking was driving me bonkers so I guessed at how much to chop off so I would only do 20.

I may not have had a GPS watch but I did have a running watch...somewhere.  We got the kids down for naps and I started looking for it and after 30 minutes gave up.  The next thing I had to use was my phone, which is enormous.  There was no way I could carry that and 2 bottles of water.  I decided to leave the stopwatch on my phone running in the house, starting and stopping it as soon as I walked out/in the door.  Armed with 3 Gu pouches and 2 bottles of water, I was off!

My route was two big loops so that I could stash water and not have to carry it the entire time.  It was a gorgeous day and I was a little hot because I still dressed like it was 20 degrees cooler.  The first loop was 11 miles and fairly uneventful save for a few backtracks because I couldn't find where I left the water bottle and soggy feat from running through so many puddles due to melted snow.

On my second lap, I ran into a couple that saw me an hour prior and the lady yelled "HOW LONG ARE YOU RUNNING?! GEEZ!" and I replied, "I'm doing 20 miles today!".  It was then that I knew I would finish.

I felt really good.  I used gels at approximately 7 miles, 14 miles, 18 miles and finished the two bottles of water (32 oz). I could have used more water but it was fine.

I got back home to stop my phone and the time was 2:31:38 or 7:40 pace!  Given that this was likely a little off due to stopping at stop lights, I was happy.   I really really tried to start slow to be able to finish strong.

UNFORTUNATELY I really only ran 19.75 miles.  I chopped off a bit too much in my mental guessing.

Total: 19.75 mi

The runners world calculator says this workout burned 2,031 calories.  THAT IS INSANE!!!  Pass the girl scout cookies!!!

Sunday 3/8
Plan says:  Rest

What I do: Rest.  The weather was SO NICE that I attempted going out to get in Thursday's missed workout.  I got about 0.1 miles before turning around because my legs were so sore!

I did get to our local running store and have a new gps watch.  PHEW!  All that gmap pedometering was driving me crazy.

Week 10 Total Mileage:  28.75 miles
Completed 3 of the 4 mandatory workouts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment