Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Marathon Training Week 9 Review - HALFWAY DONE!

Last week was an epic one.  Last week of brutal February and I spent it in mostly sunny FL! We took the kids on our annual trip to FL to do Disney World and visit my BIL.  And shocking, it is somewhat easy to get runs in when:
1) You and your husband are both on vacation from work;
2) It is not only in POSITIVE temperatures, but in the 60-80 degree weather range;
3) You have extra sets of hands to watch your kids.

Needless to say, I had a stellar running week, which I desperately needed.

Crazy enough finishing this week means that I am exactly halfway through my training plan - 9 weeks down, 9 weeks to go!

Monday 2/23
Plan says: Easy 4-5 miles with 10 strideouts

What I do: Nothing.  I worked 8 hours before heading to the aiport to catch our flight.  We ended up having a big delay so ended up getting to our hotel around 12:30 AM instead of the 8:30 PM we anticipated.

Tuesday 2/24
Plan says: Tempo workout - 1-2 miles warm up, 4 x 1 mi at tempo pace with 0.25 mile recovery in between each, 1-2 miles cool down

What I do:  First run through Old Key West resort at Disney World! They had a running trail that was about 1.5 miles and also linked up with a trail that connected to Saratoga Springs resort.  I was happy to have my Garmin along so I could just wander around linking to different paths/trails and not have to do the pre-determined resort loop.  I didn't do the exact workout because I didn't copy down the plan right and missed the 0.25 mile recovery so instead of a 4 x 1 mi tempo intervals, I did a 4 mile tempo run, no recoveries.

1.25 mile warmup at 8:00 pace
4 mile tempo run at 7:00 avg pace
1.32 mile cool down at 7:38 pace

6.58 total miles, 48:01

Wednesday 2/25
Plan says: Rest or cross-train

What I do: We went to Magic Kingdom for 12 hours this day - so a LOT of walking.  I'm counting that as cross-training!

Thursday 2/26
Plan says: Another speed workout.  7 miles as 10 min warm up, 8 x 4 min in Zone 3 with 3 minute reovery, 10 minute cool down

What I do: 10 minutes warm up, 8 x 4 minutes with 3 minute recovery, 7:40 coold down.  I hit 8 miles by cheating on the cool down so I stopped.  I probably did this in Zone 4, not 3.

8.01 total miles 57:26 (7:10 avg pace)
Mile Splits:
7:39
7:06
7:01
6:58
7:06
6:59
6:58
7:36

Friday 2/27
Plan says:  Optional 4 miles

What I do: Monday's missed workout - 5 miles easy with 10 strideouts incorporated.  My last run through the resort path.

Unfortunately, I ended up dropping my Garmin in the process of taking my long sleeve shirt off (I had put my watch on over the shirt and had to undo it to take my shirt off) and the screen no longer works!  So I guess I will be using some birthday money to replace that!  I have no idea what pace or time this run took me since I only brough my Garmin as a watch on vacation.

Saturday 2/28
Plan says: 13 miles, with a strong 15 minute finish

What I do:  It was pouring out and we had planned on going to Hollywood Studios so I had a "rest" day which really meant another day walking around the park.

Sunday 3/1
Plan says:  Rest

What I do:  Long run. We were now in Celebration, FL which I have run in plenty of times, including training for the Chicago Marathon in 2006.  Unfortuantely I had no watch to figure out exact distance or pace/time and using the Gmap Pedometer on an ipad is not optimal.  I did what I thought was 13 miles based on my gmap pedometer work, but when I got back home to WI and re-traced my route using Gmap Pedometer on a computer, I ended up with only 12.62 miles.  It was done pretty quickly though because we headed off to Epcot after I got back!  More walking!

Week 9 Total Mileage:  32.21 miles
Completed 4 of the 4 mandatory workouts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment