Pages

Monday, October 8, 2018

Madison Marathon Training: Week 12 Recap

Disclaimer:  I am running the Madison Marathon presented by SSM Health in November as a BibRave Pro, which means my entry fee was covered for me. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!  Wanna run Madison with me?  Enter code MMRAVE18 at registration for 10% off!

Another week of marathon training under my belt.  I had a hard time gearing up for another week after the sixty one mile week.  I honestly was so tired and poured a lot of mental and physical energy to hit all of the miles in the previous week that I couldn't fathom doing it again. 

But the fact is the miles still got logged.  If marathons reward consistency than I better get a big reward come November 11.

Sunday Sept 30
Plan says:  Easy 6 miles

What I did:  My son announced that he wanted to go running so of course I took him up on it.  He is four years old so I knew it would be an interesting adventure.  He made it 0.5 miles of running super fast, then stopping to walk, then restarting with some skipping and shifting to galloping.  It was a fun way to start a recovery run, and one that I felt every step of coming off a high mileage week.

6 miles, 54:08 (9:00 avg pace)

Monday Oct 1
Plan says:  Off

What I did:  Off

Tuesday Oct 2
Plan says: 1.5 mile warm up, 4 x 1.5 miles with 0.5 mile recovery in between each set, 1.5 mile cool down

What I did:  I've taken to doing my speed/strength workouts on Tuesdays because I work from home on Tuesdays and it allows me to sleep in a bit more and run in the daylight.  This workout went very well.  I felt really strong.  My goal pace for these is 6:37 and I ran them too fast, but again, I decided to go with it.

1.5 mile warm up, 12:30 (8:20 avg pace)

1 - 1.5 miles, 9:25 (6:17 avg pace) / 0.5 miles 4:38 (9:16 avg pace)
2 - 1.5 miles, 9:25 (6:17 avg pace) / 0.5 miles 4:43 (9:26 avg pace)
3 - 1.5 miles, 9:31 (6:21 avg pace) / 0.5 miles 4:48 (9:37 avg pace)
4 - 1.5 miles, 9:30 (6:20 avg pace) / 0.5 miles 4:37 (9:14 avg pace)

1.5 mile cool down, 12:55 (8:37 avg pace)

Wednesday Oct 3
Plan says:  easy 6 miles

What I did:  WOWSA.  I was TIRED for this one.  This is what I get for overdoing it on the strength workout!

6.1 miles, 55:37 (9:07 avg pace)

Thursday Oct 4
Plan says: 1.5 mile warm up, 9 miles tempo, 1.5 miles cool down

What I did:  EFF.  I woke up at 5:37 AM for this which is 37 minutes late.  I had no choice but to try to get as much done as possible that morning because the calendar was not going to allow any makeups later in the day.  I ended up shaving off a mile from the cool down.  This was a tough one for me.  My legs felt fine but overall I think I was fatigued because I felt like I was running faster than I actually was and could not make the legs fire faster. 

1.5 miles, 13:28 (8:59 avg pace)
9 miles, 1:02:21 (6:55 avg pace)
0.5 miles, 4:16 (8:32 avg pace)

Friday Oct 5
Plan says:  easy 10 miles

What I did:  You can run when you are tired.  Are you sensing a theme this week?  There is a such a fine line between the cumulative fatigue that is a normal part of marathon training and "bad" fatigue that is counterproductive.  I think I toed that narrow line last week. 

10 miles, 1:26:46 (8:40 avg pace)

Saturday Oct 6
Plan says:  easy 10 miles

What I did:  I was excited to run with some of my high school cross country teammates this morning as part of a reunion run that a friend organized.  Logging miles solo can get old so a group run was a welcome refresh.  I did five miles with the group and then stayed on the trail to do 5 miles by myself to get my 10 logged for the day.  I was feeling really good on my second set of 5 that I was clocking MP miles without trying.  {Insert SHRUG}  Marathon training really messes with your head!  I mean the day before I was spiraling down the "Omg am I overtrained? Why am I so tired?" path and twenty four hours later I am effortlessly running sub 7 miles.  Who knows?!

4.98 miles, 43:19 (8:43 avg pace)
5.02 miles, 35:50 (7:08 avg pace)

Plan Total: 55 miles
What I did: 54.13 miles

1 comment:

  1. From the start, I thought sources are the most sapient creatures on remains, resolves somehow against the way, I observed that they receive the skill of sharp analysis whereas their brainstorming nickname on the hack, thus, arriving to an intriguing portion would be extroverted for them. Their bygone played an critical confinement to it. supplement singapore

    ReplyDelete