Pages

Monday, February 6, 2017

Cellcom Green Bay Marathon Training Week 3 Recap

I recall feeling like death after the Icebreaker Marathon Relay, after I had taken a shower and my body remembered, "Oh yeah...you are sick" and thinking that I had hit the bottom and would start feeling better as the days progressed.  How I wish that were the case! Week 3 was a slog fest and I ended up getting another virus of some sort, making my sickness venture into the 14 day zone.  While my sore throat and laryngitis cleared up starting around last Monday, it transitioned into a lethargic beast with a sinus and head cold.  Oh, and spread to two other members of my household, causing some breathing issues in my son.  Oh what fun.

It is hard for me to strike a balance between the line of taking a day off to take care of yourself and pushing through things.  I can very easily rationalize a day off as "self-care".  If it were up to me....wait, it is up to me! ha ha ha   The lazy side of me probably would have taken more than one day off last week so I am happy that I pushed myself in that way to get 5 days in.

Fingers crossed and knock on wood, today I feel a bit better than I have in the past 14 days.  Perhaps week 4 will be a winner.

Monday Jan 30
Plan Says:  Easy 4 miles

What I did: 0 miles

We had the burial for my husband's grandmother this day and since I thought I may be on the way out of this sickness thing, I took a day off hoping to jump start my recovery.  Additionally, my legs, more specifically my hamstrings, were still spent from that relay.

Tuesday Jan 31
Plan Says: Off

What I did: 4.1 miles, 35:09 (8:34 pace) Treadmill Run

I started feeling worse on Tuesday.  WHAT?!  I had already used my off day for Monday so I forced myself to get on the treadmill after the kids were in bed.  Hamstrings were still sore.

Wednesday Feb 1
Plan Says: easy 4 miles

What I did: 4.0 miles, 33:49 (8:27 pace) Treadmill Run

Another slogfest on the treadmill.  I was exhausted and my hamstrings were still sore.

Thursday Feb 2
Plan Says: easy 4 miles

What I did: 4.0 miles, 34:00 (8:24 avg pace) Treadmill Run

3 treadmill runs in a row is basically torture for me, but I was sleeping through my alarms left and right.  While I still felt crummy and my hamstrings were still sore, this mentally was TOUGH.  I am proud of myself for getting through this one.  I didn't get any sleep on Wednesday night because my son was up coughing and sick most of the night and my husband and I ended up tag teaming the PPL from work to get him to the doctor.

Friday Feb 3
Plan Says: easy 4 miles

What I did: 0 miles.

I did not sleep at all on Thursday night for whatever reason.  After several days of pushing myself when not feeling great, exhaustion won.  My husband let me take a small nap when he got home after work and then I went to bed early.

Saturday Feb 4
Plan Says: easy 5 miles

What I did:  8.34 miles, unknown total time, OUTDOORS!

Even though I went to bed early on Friday night and slept through the night (yay), I woke up still tired.  Usually my kids come into our bed in the morning and at that point I am awake and up.  I still was in and out of sleep for the time they were in our bed on Saturday morning and it took me a lot of effort to get out of bed.

I wanted to get a long-ish run in since my last long-ish run was on January 14.  I realized right as I was heading out the door that with all of my indoor running lately, I hadn't charged my Garmin.  I headed out anyways figuring I would get data on some portion of the run.

This run was so difficult.  My hamstrings were sore as hell, I felt like a slug.  JUST KEEP GOING.  My watch died at 6.07 miles at which point the time was 45:27 (7:29 avg pace).  I realize that this is not as terrible as I am making it sound.  However, my last long runs were around a 7:00 pace and felt easier than this one did.  The rational part of my brain realizes that I was not feeling well for over 2 weeks and during that time was dealing with my whole house being sick, a death in the family and not getting sleep.  I was still frustrated by this run.

I did some JasYoga and Roll Recovery for my hamstrings later that night which helped a bit.  I again went to bed early.

Sunday Feb 5
Plan says: off

What I did: 6.07 miles, 44:52 (7:24 avg pace), Outdoors

Argh.  This too felt hard.  My hamstrings were still bothering me.  They do not hurt but feel so so tight.  I've never had hamstring issues before.  You may recall that a few weeks ago, my calves were bothering me - same feeling, very tight muscles.  My calves are not bothering me any more - the feeling has moved up!  The tendon along the top ridge of my right foot is also very sore.  It is not debilitating, just noticeable.  All of this has been very frustrating, particularly because I haven't even had to ramp up mileage yet!

During the super bowl I worked on JasYoga sequences for hamstrings, hips and glutes.  My hypothesis is that my weak hips and glutes are causing the calf/hamstring issues.   My birthday is in 2 weeks - if this is a foreshadow of age 36, I don't want it!

Weekly Total
Plan says: 21 miles
What I did: 26.64 miles

This whole week was tough.  Despite taking an extra rest day, I felt like a slug on every run.  I have two more weeks of this 20ish miles base building weeks before shit gets real with the Hanson plan.

Weekly takeaways: 
1. Continue working on mobility from the hip down.
2. Try to get into the habit of going to bed earlier.  In a few weeks when mileage ramps up, I am going to need it.
3. Hydrate!  My hydration has always always been subpar.

Podcasts:
Last winter, I linked to podcasts that I listened to so I will again do that.
1. Another Mother Runner #238 with Green Chef talking Cooking & Food
This had some good tips re: getting dinner on the table - including making more of things that you need, which isn't something that I am always doing.  I feel like I am still trying to get over evil thoughts that doing Whole 30 put into my head re: "good" and "bad" foods so this was good to hear - mainly that eating full-fat dairy isn't going to kill me.

2. I'll Have Another with Lindsey Hein interview with Amelia Gapin
This is my first listen to this podcast.  It was an interesting conversation that I have yet to finish.  I will listen to more of these as I know they have a good reputation, but I wasn't blown away.

I miss the ROO podcasts!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Coming off of 3 months with mono, I can tell you it's better to be safe than sorry. If you don't allow your body the proper time it needs to recover than you will just prolong things. Sounds like you are being sensible, but just wanted to throw in that reminder!

    ReplyDelete