Pages

Monday, March 13, 2017

Cellcom Green Bay Marathon Training Week 8 Recap

Week 8 was a week to be proud of.  I got shit done!

Monday Mar 6
Plan Says:  6 x 800, with 400 recovery and a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down.  800s should be at 3:05

What I did:  1.2 mile warm up, 9:11 (7:37 avg pace).  I did this outside in our neighborhood at 5 AM - so 800m = .50 miles

1- 3:04
2- 3:04
3- 3:06
4- 3:07
5- 3:02
6- 3:04

My recovery 400s were in the 2:07-2:15 range.
1.3 mile cool down, 10:45 (8:16 avg).

True confession: I LOVE 800s.  Love them.  This workout felt great and I felt in control during the 800s even though they were fast.  I looked back at my 800 goal paces for last year's marathon training and they were not 3:05 so I had a lot of self doubt going into this workout.  OMG. 3:05 is too fast. Nope.  Nope it's not!

6.79 miles total.

Tuesday Mar 7
Plan Says: Off

What I did: off

Wednesday Mar 8
Plan Says: 5 mile tempo run at 7:15, with 1 mile warm up and cool down.

What I did:   I was on the treadmill for this as we had huge wind gusts that were shaking our house when I woke up at 4:45 AM.

1 mile warm up, 7.0 mph (8:34 avg pace).
5 tempo miles (8.0 mph, 8.1 mph, 8.2 mph, 8.3 mph, 8.4 mph) ----> 7:19 average
1 mile cool down, 7.0 mph.  (8:34 avg pace)

7 total miles, 53:48

Mentally this was tough.  Physically I was surprised at how good I felt, perhaps because last week's tempo run (of the same distance and pacing goals) felt so tough. A strategy I use to fight mental boredom on the treadmill is to push buttons. Thus, why I did gradual increments in pace for the tempo run.  I ended up slower than 7:15 so I should have started faster.  That is what happens when you don't calculate the pace with treadmill conversations BEFORE you run. I love the treadmill for recovery because I am forced to run slower than I would outside (look at mile warm up and cool down for Monday as an example.)

Thursday Mar 9
Plan Says: easy 5 miles

What I did:  I slept in because I felt lazy when my 4:45 AM alarm went off so I had little option but to start this when I got home from work before the bus came, even though I knew that I wouldn't get all 5 done then.  I ended up getting 3 done outside at 22:18 (7:25 avg pace) and then I went in and did the final 2 on the treadmill while my kids played.  I had to stop once to fix a sword, but otherwise I felt that this worked out fine.  Not ideal, but fine.  Speaking again to how the treadmill slows me down (a good thing!) my 2 miles were 17:16 total - around 8:34 pace!

5 total miles, 39:34 (7:55 avg pace)

Friday Mar 10
Plan Says: easy 6 miles

What I did:  It. was. cold.  OH my goodness.  6 miles before 6 AM.  What was awesome about this is that I was able to venture outside of my usual neighborhood laps to get 2 miles done outside the loops because it was light enough out.

6.03 miles, 47:39 (7:54 avg pace)

Saturday Mar 11
Plan Says: 10 miles at long run pace - 7:54 for me

What I did: I met my friend B at her place.  IT WAS COLD.  We made the unfortunate decision to run an out and back course and the first half was pretty quick because we didn't realize we had the wind at our back until we turned around and had to do 5 miles running into the wind.  The cold, icy, wind.  Honestly the last mile of this run was among the hardest I have ever done.  The wind was relentless.  BUT WE MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10.02 miles, 1:18:02 (7:47 avg pace)

Check out these mile splits:
Out 5 - 8:06/7:59/7:24/7:25/7:23
Back 5 - 7:38/7:56/7:54/7:55/8:12  WIND!

While in Florida, my right hip felt bruised.  It hurt in one distinct spot.  I often bump into things so I thought I probably bumped it on a dresser or something.  It hurt again for the remainder of Saturday.  I did a hip reset on Jasyoga to help stretch it but it was still sore when I went to bed.  My right foot (top of the arch) still is nagging me - again, it doesn't hurt.  Just doesn't feel totally 100%.

Sunday Mar 12
Plan says: Easy 5 miles

What I did:  Easy 5 miles.  My plan was to get up to do this at 5:30 before my future SIL's bridal shower.  However, I randomly was up at 3:15, got sucked into "watching" (via Twitter and Instagram) the final miles of the speed project/Oiselle Birdstrike team and then fell asleep at 5 and next thing I knew it was 7:15.  Luckily it was still pretty light out, and it hadn't started snowing yet, that I was able to get outside after the kids were in bed.  I pre-calculated what I needed to run to clear 40 miles for the week.

5.22 miles, 41:43 (8:00 avg pace)

My hip seemed to be ok and not bothersome by this point.

Weekly Total
Plan says:  40 miles
What I did:  40.05 miles

8 weeks of marathon training done!    Yeehaw!  So far, I am really liking the Hanson plan.  It is challenging, but doesn't feel impossible...yet!  I felt I did a better job of slowing down on recovery/easy runs this week, although they still should be slower.  The Hanson recommended recovery range for my goal pace is 8:13-8:49.   I think right now I really have to be mindful to slow down.  As the miles pile on and it gets tougher, it will likely not be as difficult to slow down because my legs will be more fatigued.

Podcasts
1. Because I was on the treadmill this week, I listened to a podcast - and a good one at that!  I highly recommend ROO #193 Real Talk Reflections on Gratitude Grit + Grace 

1 comment:

  1. Great week. I agree with you that it will be more and more important to go slower as the miles increase. Right now, your legs probably feel relatively fresh on easy days so you don't feel the need to go slow. But I think you will naturally settle in to a slower pace once your legs are asking you to do it!

    ReplyDelete