Pages

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Cellcom Green Bay Marathon Training: Week 9 Recap

9 down, 9 to go!  I'm halfway through marathon training!  How the hell did that happen?!

Week 9 was a doozy.  The Hanson plan bumps mileage up every 3 weeks, and week 9 was a bump up week.  Week 8 had 40 miles on the plan, week 9 had 49.  NINE EXTRA MILES.  Oy vey.

Daylight Savings impacted me hard.  I found it very difficult to sleep this week and thus getting up at 4:45 was not in the cards most mornings.  Also, my cranky hip acted up a bit more than usual.

Despite all of this - I still had a great week of running!  Pump it up!

Monday Mar 13
Plan Says:  5 x 1000, with 400 recovery and a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down.  1Ks should be at 3:48 (6:05 avg pace).

What I did:  They were predicting a huge snow storm all weekend so I was expecting snow. Unfortunately, I did not wake up in the morning and we got a lot of snow all day Monday so I was on the treadmill for this one.  It was also my husband's birthday so I had lots of lasagna and birthday cake in my belly prior to jumping on the 'mill.

1 mile warm up at 7.0 mph on the treadmill (8:34 avg pace)

For the 1Ks, I varied the pace between 9.8 - 10.0 mph for 0.621-0.624 miles (depending on how fast I could hit the stop button!)
1- 3:48
2- 3:48
3- 3:47
4- 3:46
5- 3:47

My recovery 400s were at 6.0 mph (2:31).

1 mile cool down, 6.0-6.8mph, 9:34.

While I don't recommend doing this workout on a full stomach, it was good mental practice for me to fight through the discomfort!

6.11 miles total.

Tuesday Mar 14
Plan Says: Off

What I did: Off

Wednesday Mar 15
Plan Says: 8 mile tempo run at 7:15, with 1 mile warm up and cool down.

What I did:   I was up from 1-4 am worrying about this workout.  FOR REAL.  Tempo runs make me so nervous.  They seem so difficult and this week my tempo run bumped up to 8 miles - from 5 miles.  It seemed like such a big jump.  Once again, I slept through my alarm.  Luckily, I have after school care arrangements on Wednesdays so I could get this done after work.  The plows had come through so the roads and sidewalks were clear; much clearer than I expected.  The sun was shining!  Time to stop worrying and hit the road.

I turned my first mile, which was supposed to be a warm up mile, into the first mile of the tempo run because it was at 7:30.  I had a 2-day training earlier in the week and a lunch event this day so I had not been eating great food all week.  The result of this is that I felt like I really had to poop on that first mile.  I ducked back into my house after running the first mile to use the bathroom.  Nothing.  I chalked it up to nerves and got back out there.  And ran fast.  No matter how much I told myself to relax, I ran way too fast for the remaining 7 miles.  My anxiety did not relent until about mile 7.9.   Total was 8 miles at 6:55 avg pace.   Mile splits: 7:32 / 6:40 / 6:45 / 6:54 / 6:52 / 6:42 / 6:59 / 6:53.

To make up for the lack of warm up, I ran a 2 mile cool down.  This felt glorious.  My legs felt tired, but good and mentally it was like a huge weight had lifted.  2.03 miles, 16:50 (8:18 avg pace).

Shortly after I was done running, I noticed my right hip was very sore.  I used my R8 roller and also my foam roller to work on it a bit.  Cue more nerves and internal chanting of "please don't let me be injured...please don't let me be injured...."

I had a tiger balm patch sample that I slapped on it before bed.

Thursday Mar 16
Plan Says: easy 6 miles

What I did:  Again, I was up at 12:30 AM.  This time, I took a Hylands Calms Forte tablet and quickly fell back asleep...and missed my morning alarm.  For the 3rd time this week.  I woke up and my hip was hurting.  ARGH.  I got home after work and started running outside.  It was a beautiful day.  I ended up getting 3.6 miles in before the bus showed up.  My hip still wasn't feeling great so I opted to stop there.

3.62 miles, 28:51 (7:58 avg pace).

Friday Mar 17
Plan Says: easy 5 miles

What I did:  I WOKE UP AT MY MORNING ALARM!  I knew that rain was forecasted so I looked outside.  It didn't look like it was raining (but I was not wearing glasses or contacts!) so I got dressed for an outdoor run.  I went outside and it was definitely drizzling but doable.  Unfortunately the temp was hovering around 32 degrees so there were a lot more slippery spots than I was comfortable with.  I ended up turning around, going back inside and changing to shorts and taking off my layers of shirts.   What a time suck!

I ended up running an easy 5 miles on my treadmill in 42:52 while listening to the first half of Lindsey Hein interviewing Alysia Montano. (link below).  My hip felt ok.  I felt like maybe if I got a really good massage, that might be the thing I need.

I did the new Jasyoga "High Mileage Reset" during the evening and it felt.so.good!  Definitely loosened things up!  Friday night was also the first night of my Sense sleep system.  I will be posting about this once I have some trends!

I re-read parts of the Hanson book as I wanted to make sure my pacing was going ok.  It is easy to get very caught up in social media re: paces of runs.  Re-reading reasoning behind paces boosted my confidence a lot!

Saturday Mar 18
Plan Says: 15 miles at long run pace - 7:54 for me

What I did:  My running partner and I were up to meet at my house (we switch off meeting at each other's houses).  She is running Boston so our long run distances have not matched up - one of us is always doing more than the other.  Until this week, she was always going longer.  This week, we switched places.  She had 10 to do.  I knew that it would be hard for me to run after she was done so I left earlier and ran 5 miles by myself and then the final 10 with her.  This plan worked beautifully.  I was happy that we ran this comfortably as I want to try to stick with the paces in the book.  My hip felt ok.  Not great, but not in pain.

15 miles, 1:56:51 (7:47 avg pace).  Interesting this is the exact same average pace as last week's 10 mile run and last week's run felt much worse.  This was a very comfortable run.

7:37 / 7:58 / 7:48 / 7:30 / 7:40 / 8:04 / 7:55 / 8:05 / 7:54 / 7:35 / 7:36 / 7:51 / 7:43 / 7:35 / 7:56

Sunday Mar 19
Plan says: Easy 7 miles

What I did:  
I again pre-calculated my mileage to get to an even number for the weekly total.  I knew I was going to be at least 2 miles short due to shortening my Thursday run.  I figured out if I ran 7.25 I would have a nice even 47 miles for the week.  I headed out after lunch and made a plan with my daughter, who wanted to run with me, that I would come back and she could run the last half mile with me.

This was a nice run.  I wanted to keep it comfortable and easy.  I finished the rest of the Lindsey Hein/Alysia Montano podcast.  I got back to my house at around 6.9 miles and BOTH my kids wanted to join me.  My daughter, age 6, is actually a decent runner.  My son, age 3, is not. So we headed out.  They had a lot of fun and it was funny to watch them.  At one point my son was huffing and puffing saying he needed a break so we tried to say he could sit a lap out but he did not want to miss out on anything.  I actually carried him while running for a bit.  He is 40 pounds.  This was no small feat!  I ended up getting 7.52 miles in!  The splits are funny:

7:46 / 7:44 / 7:59 / 7:53 / 7:58 / 8:13 / 8:07 ----> Average pace of each of the first seven miles

6:44 ----> Actual time it took to run the last 0.52 miles. 

7.52 miles, 1:02:24 (8:18 avg pace)

Weekly Total
Plan says:  49 miles
What I did: 47.28 miles

Podcasts
1.  Here is the link to I'll Have Another #40 with Alysia Montano

No comments:

Post a Comment