Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Marathon Training Week 3 Review

Monday 1/12
Plan says: OPTIONAL Easy 4-5 miles

What I do: 4.25 miles, 32:18. On the treadmill.  Before you get too excited that I did the optional workout for the week - this really covers Friday's non-optional 3-4 miles.

Tuesday 1/13
Plan says: Negative split 6 miles (divided into 2 3 mile chunks - run the 2nd chunk faster than the first)

What I do: I was disappointed that my usual Tuesday power yoga class was cancelled today.

I did not run today.  Monday was the third day in a row, after a long run.  I needed a rest.

0 miles.

Wednesday 1/14
Plan says: Rest

What I do:  1.66 miles on the treadmill.  Today was a DAY.  I was definitely in a funk, and I headed to the treadmill to do Tuesday's workout and get all the negativity out of my system.  Unfortuantely my day began at 3 AM, having to change pee-soaked sheets from my daughter's bed and then I was not able to fall back asleep so I was tired all day.  (On the up side, I got a lot of reading done!)  I threw in the towel after 1.66 miles.

Thursday 1/15
Plan says:  Fun workout (as defined by two pages in the book including sledding, cross-country skiing, relay races, shooting baskets, etc)

What I do:

It was a great day outside so I headed out to do Tuesday's missed workout after meetings were over at my office.  I did manage to negative split my miles -

First Chunk:  7:20 average
Mile 1: 7:15 pace
Mile 2: 7:20 pace
Mile 3: 7:25 pace

Second Chunk: 6:38 average
Mile 4: 6:41 pace
Mile 5: 6:46 pace
Mile 6: 6:28 pace

Check

Also, "fun workout" happens almost on a daily occurrence as my 4 year old loves being chased around the house.  I wasn't aware I could count that!! ha ha ha

Friday 1/16
Plan says: 3-4 easy miles

What I do:  This has been the optional workout for the previous two weeks - I did it on Monday instead of today.

I got more "fun workout" in by taking the kids to the playground and running around pulling them in a sled and chasing them around.

Saturday 1/17
Plan says: 15 miles, middle 5 at race pace (plan states that I can choose which middle 5 to do - e.g., mile 7-11)

What I do:   Since I am aiming for 7:30 pace and most of my long runs have been faster than this, my overall plan was to run the first 5 miles easy, push the next 5 miles, and run the last 5 miles easy rather than aim for a specific pace.  I felt really good during most of this run (the last 2 miles were challenging) and the weather was amazing.  Most of the ice/snow had melted so I could run on bare sidewalk or street for 90% of the run.  I also ran this in the morning.  I made the multi-grain muffins out of the Runners World Cookbook and had two of those, each with cashew butter, a bottle of water and a cup of coffee before heading out.  I didn't feel as sluggish as I normally do on morning runs.  I also ran in my Saucony Triumphs and it went well.

First 5:
Mile 1: 7:34
Mile 2: 7:20
Mile 3: 7:27
Mile 4: 7:24
Mile 5: 7:20

Middle 5:
Mile 6: 7:01
Mile 7: 7:06
Mile 8: 6:56
Mile 9: 7:12
Mile 10: 7:03

***Ate a Chocolate Gu and had half a water bottle****

Last 5:
Mile 11: 7:37
Mile 12: 7:41
Mile 13: 7:31
Mile 14: 7:14
Mile 15: 7:05

Total: 15.09 miles, 1:50:05 (7:18 pace)

Sunday 1/18
Plan says:  Rest

What I do: My BIL was visiting from FL so we went out to brunch.  I stuffed my face with two plates of food, had two mimosas and went home and took a nap.  It was glorious.  0 miles.

Week 3 Total Mileage:  27.01 miles
Completed the 4 mandatory workouts. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment