Pages

Monday, January 9, 2017

Week in Review: Great Start to 2017!

Last week was COLD.  Our temperatures started to plummet on Wednesday into single digit temps. Then the wind came and the "feels like negative" temperatures arrived.  I had zero choice but to make it work (still no home treadmill, still no gym membership here) and it was one of the most fun weeks of running that I have had in a while.

Previously I considered anything below the teens in temperature to be a call to move it indoors.  Last week I wanted to challenge myself to see I could still continue outdoors.  Partly this was because I follow a ton of runners on Instagram and seeing other people make it work was motivational.  Mostly this was because if I didn't continue, my mileage would tank.

You likely have read that the key to running in extreme cold is layers.  This is true.  I have experimented with various combos and have found that for me, the following is clutch:

Fleece lined tights - these Athleta ones are my favorite
Knee-high compression socks
Short sleeved shirt (top layer 1)
Long sleeved shirt (top layer 2)
Wind resistant pullover (top layer 3) - love the Sugoi Firewall line
Winter running jacket (top layer 4)
Running gloves (layer 1)
Sweater mittens (layer 2)
Winter Hat - cast those "running hats" aside.  The warmest hat I have is a Green Bay Packers fleece lined pom pom hat.  Likely designed for fans watching football at the frozen tundra.
Gaiter
Sunglasses - great wind blockers!
Aquaphor all over exposed skin on the face

Running in extreme cold is definitely a mind over matter situation.  Last Tuesday it was so windy and there were moments where I could not imagine being any colder.  To combat this, I intentionally ran neighborhood loops so that I was not going in one direction for too long.  Just when I could not take the wind in my face, it was time to change direction for a reprieve.

The nice thing about extreme cold last week is that the ground was clear.  The warm week + no precipitation we had at the end of December made all of the sidewalks and roads much clearer.

My goal last week was to get at least 4 running days in, including a long run of one hour on the weekend. I ran 6 days.  Woohoo!

Monday January 2: 2.12 miles, 16:33 (7:49 avg pace)

This was a rough run for me.  I felt tired and blech.  I ran at night after spending the entire day cleaning out our house to accommodate a large remodeling project we are starting.  I should not have saved my run for night!

Tuesday January 3: 4.59 miles, 34:25 (7:30 avg pace)

Wednesday, January 4: 5.01 miles, 37:50 (7:33 avg pace)

Wednesday I have aftercare services so I don't have to worry about being home at a certain time for kids.

Thursday, January 5: 3.34 miles, 24:24 (7:18 avg pace)

Tuesday and Thursday were runs done after work before my daughter gets off the bus. You can see the wide variability of when the bus drop off occurs.  A good illustration of why when I have actual mileage goals for these days, this is NOT a good time to plan on running!

Friday, January 6: Off

Saturday, January 7: 9.01 miles, 1:03:40 (7:04 avg pace)

It was still super cold on Saturday but the sun was shining which gave the appearance that it was a nice day.  This was my second run in my Saucony ISO and I really like these shoes.  This was a great run.

Mile 1:  7:14
Mile 2:  7:14
Mile 3:  7:19
Mile 4:  7:13
Mile 5:  7:10
Mile 6:  6:46
Mile 7:  6:52
Mile 8:  6:55
Mile 9:  6:55

Still rocking those negative splits!

Sunday, January 8: 4.5 miles, 34:08 (7:35 avg pace)

Traditionally, I have always taken the day after a long run off.  I will be attempting the Hanson's Marathon Method for my spring marathon, which has you running the day after long runs.  This will be a big change for me so I wanted to try it to get a sense of what it would feel like.  Although my legs were tired, I felt much better than I was expecting to.  However, today (Monday) I am WIPED out.  I need to start being more disciplined about when I go to bed, particularly because my son still wakes up at least once a night most nights.  #allIwantforChristmasisonenightofuninterruptedsleep #shitChristmasisover

Total Weekly Mileage: 28.57

The week ahead is my final week before my marathon training plan starts!



2 comments:

  1. Great week! My approach to really cold weather is not to layer too much, but to have gear that's rated for very cold temperatures. Like I will wear a winter running jacket with a thin long-sleeved shirt under, and that's it. That said, I think my body heats up more than the average person when I run, so I can be comfy in single digits wearing a thin base layer and a jacket only. You totally killed that 9-mile run. Great splits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes looking for winter temps is a must. i think the thing that makes me the coldest is wind which has been insane lately. i also like layering because then I can shed things once I actually warm up. The first mile in the extreme cold is THE WORST!

      Delete