Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

Six weeks of Marathon Training Down, 12 to go!

Another week closer to the marathon!  I had another strong training week logged, culminating in a great long run.

Tuesday:  My speed workout for the week was 4x1600.  The last time I had to do 1600s was rough so I was anxious about this.  I was on the treadmill due to cold again and I was  bummed that I didn't get my favorite treadmill - the last row, corner 'mill.  No one behind me. Alas, I got through the mile repeats.  The last 1600 was tough and assisted by Defying Gravity from the Wicked soundtrack.  What a great motivational song!  Full workout was a 1.6 mile warm up, 4x1600 with 0.25 jog in between and a 1.6 mi cool down.  Was relieved to have this thing done.

My other runs were 4 miles easy with strideouts after.  I did one in the wee hours of the morning (5AM, 20 degrees) in the dark and the other after work (3PM, 23 degrees).  I'm trying to do one run a week right after work from my office to a) get some daylight running in; b) take advantage of warmer temps (I'll take every degree of warmth that I can get!); and c) vary my courses.

Saturday:  LONG RUN!  I "only" had to do a 13 mile run this week.  My husband made fun of me for saying that.  Saturday's weather was a balmy 32 degrees! WOOHOO! (My ATL-based coach calls that "cold". ha ha ha) I was supposed to do the first 9 miles easy and get the last four done in 7:00-7:20 pace.  I started out with the latest Serial podcast, hoping that would help me keep my pace in check.  (Sometimes I find running with music makes me run faster than I ideally want to.)  My avg pace for the first 9 miles was 7:18, and I felt good.  I took a gu and some water and started picking up the pace for the last 4.  I also switched to music, since the podcast was over.  The last four were 6:58, 6:59, 6:55, 6:43.  13 miles in 1:33:30.  (For the record, my half marathon PR is 1:33:23.)  I forgot to wear my compression calf sleeves for my long run this week.  My coach said, and I quote, "You might be able to break 3:10 if things go perfectly!" If I break 3:10, post-marathon drinks are on me for those traveling to Boston with me!

Total week 6 miles per plan: 29
My total mileage last week: 29.37

I have the Icebreaker Marathon Relay (indoor) with other Oiselle women coming up on Saturday.  I am sort of freaking out that this doesn't really fit nicely into my plan, but trying to just go with it. One of the other women on my 4-person team is also running Boston so we were commiserating about how this race is difficult to plan around.

I am really proud of myself for making it 6 weeks into this plan and not skipping any workouts. ZERO! I definitely do better sticking to workouts if I have a plan and I am INFINITELY better at doing the workouts if I have a plan + coach.  Woohoo for High Miles Running.  Seriously loving this training session so far!

12 weeks until Boston!

2 comments:

  1. Ummm, I like to comments about drinks!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BCK I mean it. We are walking from the finish to a bar and getting beer. :) (Tell RTC I will buy him a gin & tonic :))

      Delete